Sunday, September 16, 2012

The Question of Why

Hello to anyone reading this! Which, as of 9:00am on Sunday, September 16th, is me (hi me!)

I feel it's important to start any project of task off with the question of, why? Why am I doing this? Without a good reason, it would be akin to building a house on sand. The sand in this analogy is the conviction to keep doing this and the house is the blog. The sun is still there, though, that's still just the sun.

Okay, so maybe it looks fine in this example.
The reason why I'm doing this is because I love video games, always have, always will (hopefully). When you love something, you want to get to know it better, know the ins and outs of it and figure out why you love it so much, what makes it great. This is what helps me be the best video game designer I can be. Every game I play, I wonder why is it so good (or bad), why did I feel X and Y when I played it, and how can I replicate that and do it better?

I grew up playing video games, starting with the original Game Boy and Nintendo. The guys from Paragon Studios will probably laugh at this and say that I'm young, or anyone else reading this blog. Well, guess what! There are some people out there now who grew up playing NINTENDO 64! Think about that!
This is old school for some people now.
The goal of this blog is to explore that love of games and also my own work. I want to use this blog to understand games better. I could just do that on my own, sure, but writing down a judgment on a game or subject is something that'll stick much better for me than just thinking about it out loud. Plus! I could look very smart making said judgment. Or, incredibly dumb. That's the excitement of the whole thing.

What I'll be doing is posting my thoughts on various games, old and new. It'll be on anything and everything about it, from their story, to their systems, all the way to the level design. It's all stuff that I've worked on and have a passion for. I'll also be posting critiques on my previous work on City of Heroes, things that I particularly liked, things that could have gone better. Lastly, I'll be touching on some things regarding LUA occasionally  because I love LUA.

I love LUA. I... I love LUA.

So! I hope anyone reading this will sit back and enjoy. I'll be doing my best to update this every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, for the sake of appearing professional. Also, since this is being posted on a Sunday and I want people to actually stick around, you'll notice that I've put a post up already! Enjoy!

3 comments: