Friday, September 28, 2012

Video Game Theories: Crafting a Character's Story Through Choice

Today I wanted to post one of my many Video Game Theories. I had tons of these before I went into the industry. However, these theories have (somewhat) of an authority to them, now that I'm in the industry!  Please keep in mind everything I'm saying here is my opinion; if I say, "that wasn't good", insert a, "in my opinion, that wasn't good". Today, I wanted to talk about crafting a character's story through choice. The theory I have is that a good story for a character in an MMO, or even any game if you don't want to outright define the character, is defined through the choices in the game that help define the player character.

I've noticed a trend with some games such as RIFT, Aion, Secret World, and Guild Wars 2, where the writers create a back story for the character. Some of these are minor, like in Secret World. Some of these are major, like in Guild Wars 2. These are all done to help the player get attached to the story of their characters and to give the writer something to base the story around. How else can you write for a character who has a blank slate? The best example of this is in Guild Wars 2, where you choose several background details about your character. Depending on what you choose, your character receives a different quest after the first initial one.

I thought this character was a girl for a good 2 minutes when I was just mashing buttons through this.


Personally, I'm not a big fan of this method in Guild Wars 2. I didn't feel like it was my character that I was playing; it felt like I was playing with one of the characters that the game gave me. I was choosing one of three sets of character personalities that the game was saying, "These are the stories that you will see." It was also fairly obvious, at least from the human perspective, what story would come from that. Don't know your parents? That'll be the story. Wanted to join the circus? That'll be a story as well. Granted, the game offers several other permutations to that to spice it up a bit, in their defense. The whole bit for the humans of, "I never joined the circus", however, felt extremely random and specific to fit into many character's story. The entire world of Guild Wars 2 felt shrunk into several possible background options I had for my human character.

In City of Heroes: Going Rogue, we established the character's background as being someone who has super powers and is from Praetoria. Because you have super powers, you're automatically in the Powers Division. This was the extent to which we defined the player character. The fact that you were in Powers Division was one you could contest and ultimately ignore depending on one of the 4 branches of story that you chose. Each of those branches also had smaller choices you could make in them. For example, one branch is called Power (one of my favorite next to Responsibility), in which you're essentially a super-powered celebrity. One way to play this branch is basically a power mongering maniac who is willing to lie, cheat, and steal to be number one. Another way to play this branch is a person who becomes famous, but honestly believes what they're doing is right. I'm saying this from feedback we received from players on this branch.

Desdemona made a choice to wear hot pants. That choice has haunted  her forever.


I think this is a way that, going forward, developers can establish a stronger story and have players feel more attached to their characters. A good way to encourage this is to have a field to write a biography for your character. I loved this in City of Heroes, Champions Online, and Star Trek Online. It made me pause for a moment and think about my character's background. It could be anything. As the player goes through the game, choices that they make will help define their character to the developer and to themselves. As the developer, you don't know what motivation the player has behind running a specific branch of story and maybe the player doesn't either. However, putting a choice in that branch to make the player decide why they're doing this helps the player flesh out their own character's story and helps the developer see what kind of character they have.

Here's an example. In Going Rogue, I wrote an arc given out by the contact, Transmuter. You had assembled a number of other super-powered comrades to form your own group to hunt down someone who was killing members of the Powers Division. At one point, you are chasing down a big name in the Resistance who might be behind the killings, while your team is out investigating another lead. You get an SOS from your team, saying that the killer has appeared and is attacking them. The player has a choice in this instance. They can stop the mission and go save the team, letting the member of the Resistance go. Or, they can chase after the Resistance and sacrifice members of their team before going after the real killer. This (theoretically) makes the player ask themselves several questions. Why am I teamed with these people? What is my goal, justice or fame? Do I think the ends justify the means?

But what if I want to be a famous cop?
The answer to this choice puts the player in a different mindset than before, and future choices that they make will be done knowing this. The great part is that, as a designer, you can then make reference to this choice later on. It doesn't have to be big, simply small dialog that crops up referencing the choice your character makes, NPC's treating you one way or another. Granted, these are similar to choices presented in game like in the Guild Wars 2 character creation, but we as the developer never told you what your character's story was. That was your call, we simply gave you an avenue to flesh out the character you made.

I'd like to use an analogy for this, comparing it to a person's life. When you're born, you have a certain amount of things that are predefined: your gender, your skin color, your parents, your name, etc. Some of your "story" is already written, in as much as the family you're born into. However, your life is then defined by what you do, the choices you make, the things you pursue. Imagine if this way of thinking was applied to an MMO or any other game! The Mass Effect series did this pretty spot on, where Commander Shepard's background was defined a little bit, but her main story was punctuated by the choices you made in the game.

Unless you're me, and didn't care at all about the human value of robots or AI. Bye bye, Geth!

This way of design takes more work, as stories are no longer "stand alone". There are opportunities everywhere to reference a player's previous choice. Is this bad? I don't know, as we didn't do it very heavily on City of Heroes. It definitely calls for a much more organized design group and story. Personally, however, I would love it if I did side quest A in a zone, made a choice there, and had a quest that was completely different from that one later on make a reference to it. It would make me feel like I'm playing in a world where my decisions are remembered, and my character is defined by the choices I make, not the ones made for me before I even bought the game.

There's a lot more to crafting a character's story than this. You need to create an atmosphere that encourages the player to explore their own stories, create branches off of established lore, etc. Of course, this is all under the assumption that the player cares about story. If not, well, then lolwords.

YOU'RE LEVEL 50! WHAT DO YOU MEAN, 'WHAT IS PARAGON CITY"?!

7 comments:

  1. I liked what material there was in there that could draw on earlier arcs or mission choices. For instance I thought it was a nice touch that, during Roy Cooling's arc, you could call up Keith Nance if you had done his arc. It would have been nice if more of the Praetorian content could have drawn on some of that, though -- certain story paths assumed you had information that only comes up if you'd played through other story paths and it was a little frustrating on the first play-through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We had only just gotten the tech to do "if this is true, talk to this contact while this mission task is active" conditions in Praetoria. We only used it for speaking with Calvin Scott/Provost Marchand, as we were already doing a lot of complicated stuff with phasing, the branches, etc.

      I agree it would've been cool, unfortunately we couldn't go too crazy with this tech before we knew what it was. However, that was the point of the tech when we had made it, to get the player thinking how cool that would've been in other situations, and then possibly add that to older content or do more of that in future content.

      Delete
  2. That's certainly one avenue of Guild Wars 2 that I'm not a fan of in relation to City of Heroes. Like you, I feel as though many important aspects of my character are defined ahead of time. There isn't even much of an opportunity to color your reaction to events as done so fantastically in SWtOR. Though the game was extremely stringent in the situations you found yourself in, it allowed you to feel as though your character reacted according to the basic blueprint you had in your mind.

    City of Heroes, despite having no voice acting and very little branching in general still allowed you to develop a strong connection to your characters -if- you wanted to. The biography option encouraged this from the beginning. Of course, the character creator's freedom would get those creative juices flowing as well. Origins, though I feel as though they were a bit under-represented in the game itself, also were a great addition to add flavor to your character even if you hopped in without anything in mind beforehand. And though outside of some of the later issues of the game there were few options to allow your character to even ask questions about what they were doing, much less take a different approach, those missions that did utilize it really felt special.

    An MMO that had allowed for the type of visual and conceptual creative freedom of City of Heroes along with the type of story-defining branches (preferably generally not black and white choices, but ones that could be rationalized by many different mindsets as with the Praetorian content you alluded to) would be a roleplayer's dream come true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SWTOR got that right, absolutely. Your REACTIONS to events are a great way for a game to have its cake and eat it too...

      The user gets a chance to express their character, on the spot. Is your character pleased about what they just heard? Angry? Uncaring and neutral? Snarky? Confused? The game gives you an appropriate response to your reaction... and then continues on its merry way.

      In the end you still accept the quest / accept the reward / listen to the exposition of what's going on, but because you get to voice your opinion now and then it feels more like you're involved. The end result is identical to having a wall of text pop up with an Accept Quest button at the bottom, which makes life easier on designers, but it doesn't feel that way.

      City of Heroes was going this way, too. Many NPC conversations gave you a chance to express your personality when responding to people, even if the conversation always ended the same way. You had meaningfully different reactions to things. I was looking forward to more of that...

      Guild Wars 2 goes the opposite direction; it lets you pick what quests you're going on at the start, but then you have NO real choices and no control over what your character is saying. Now and then they throw a branching path at you, but only a hard division branch and not particularly often. Every now and then you can express a reaction but never in the voiced cutscenes and only if you happen to engage in an optional NPC dialogue. The main path allows zero deviation outside of primary juncture points. End result... this doesn't feel like MY character.

      One other note... if any budding (or veteran!) designers are considering adding reaction choices... allow some snark. All too often, particularly in TOR, we get "I react in a noble good fashion!" or "Derp neutral." or "I sneer like a villainous villain!". There's more spectrum than that, and the one which rarely gets play is "I am raising my eyebrow at how crazy this sounds and wish to utilize dry wit." It helps take the edge off some of the more absurd MMO scenarios like Kill Ten Rats if your character is allowed to grumble or joke a little.

      Delete
    2. I'll take a guess and say that you enjoyed the snark option throughout the whole of Dragon Age 2. =P

      I'm not judging! My first character did that in just about every scenario. It was a lot of fun.

      But back on base with the main topic, one mission that was put out recently that I felt was a real treat simply because of how it allowed you to simply color your character was the final mission of SSA 1. Not the fight with Rulu-Wade (thought that was awesome), but the press conference afterwards. I loved the opportunity to put forward my hero/villain's own thoughts on the events that had transpired as well as their motivation behind saving the world. It gave the player an opportunity to think about how their character would react in the spotlight, with all eyes on them after saving the world (again).

      Delete
  3. Once again, you pull off a fabulous post about things I never would have thought of.

    My main, Lord Omi (Virtue), has over 800 badges. I have done a lot of the content. (Not all of it. :P) However, I am still regularly amazed by the amount of stuff I can do. I played through the news DA arcs solo, and was so bewildered by the story at one point I was literally repeating "wat." to the screen. (Sentinel is .) You guys did a fantastic job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a large reason why I loved Roleplaying in CoH. The older story arcs while not giving CHOICES per se, gave me enough information without overwhelming me with dictating my character's dialogue to let my characters react as they would and the newer arcs with the choices further allowed them to behave in a manner they'd choose.

    I don't' like when MMOs give me my background as like you, it doesn't feel like mine, any more.

    Further, scripting my dialogue TOO much can take that voice from my character, too. A good example is SWTOR. It flat out scripts everything that you say in choices then takes it further by giving your character a voice and animations and such takes that freedom from me, as well. I never felt ToR was MY character, despite the choices. I felt like I was playing the 'console game hero that I gave a name to.'

    This is one of the things I've loved about Secret World. While it does give the cut scenes and such, it never really voices your character for you, at all. Therefore back to what we had in older CoH story arcs where my reactions are my own. There's a fine line between giving choices and full on dialogueing/scripting your character's voice tones.

    Sometimes there's a point of 'okay, my character would be benign, snarky or flat out evil but he wouldn't say THAT!' And I think it's a very artfully crafted fine line.

    A couple of the later story arcs in CoH started going too much with scripting/defining my characters their dialogue for them but it didn't last and the proof is in the artfully crafted stuff I saw in Beta. That fine line of choices that let me define my character and giving too much voice to my character was balanced wonderfully!

    There needs to be more MMOs out there that give so much creative freedom from creation to game-play like CoH does. It WOULD be a dream come true for this roleplayer, for sure!

    ReplyDelete